Sunday, February 27, 2011

Very Special Quilt















I just got this quilt finished. It is a very special quilt. Before Christmas Doug came home from his Mom's house with 13 embroidered butterflies. Doug's grandmother, Eva Brooke, had done the embroidery work. Doug's grandmother gave them to Doug's mom sometime ago. Doug's mom thought they were done in the 1960's. His grandmother had bought them as a quilt kit. Doug's mom, Shirley, has had them for some time. She decided that she probably was not going to get anything done with them and asked me if I could make the blocks into a quilt. Of course, I said, "I would love to do that". So this is a three generation quilt, so to speak.

This is the sashing material. It is Pretty Please, by Jennifer Paganelli for Westminster Fibers. The color is Sky. The gals at Missouri Start Quilt Co. quilted it for me. They quilted it in neat little butterflies.

It is really neat b/c the first big quilt I ever made was one that my grandmother had started many years ago and never finished. So we have a quilt that my maternal grandmother started and I finished, and one that Doug's maternal grandmother started and I finished. What a great heirloom to pass along.

2 comments:

  1. Carol, that quilt is beautiful!! What an amazing heirloom, and how cool that you were able to be a part of it!
    That sashing fabric looks perfect too! I love the whole thing, it's simply gorgeous!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah. I loved making it.

    ReplyDelete