Saturday, May 8, 2010
An Ah, hah moment!
Today while reading the Upper Room the days reading really spoke to me. I want to share it with you. The Widow's Offering Read Mark 12:41-44 Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:3 (NIV) Michael Alvanese ( New York) writes: My church's pledge form had come in the mail and sat on my hall table for about a week. Each day as I came and went to work, I saw the envelope and thought about all of the bills I had to pay and the conflict I felt about the spirit of my giving to the ministries of my church. One morning I read the Bible story of the poor widow who gave generously in spite of her poverty, contributing all she had to live on, in faith that God would sustain her. Jesus recognized this gift as more precious than the offerings of the rich who gave out of their abundance. I realized that we all come to Christ in spiritual poverty. We have nothing to offer in return for the gifts God gives us; we can only offer ourselves as servants to the will of God. God receives us and welcomes us into fullness of life. While supporting my church is an important part of my Christian calling, God does not desire offerings given out of obligation or ritual but out of my heart's love. Acknowledging my spiritual poverty before God has made me deeply grateful for all I have and has opened my heart to support the work of my church and others in need. Prayer: Loving God, accept us in our spiritual poverty, and lead us to love and serve you with our whole heart. Amen. Thought for the Day: How can I use faithfully the gifts God has given me? As I read this, I realized that often what I do as far as tithing, and serving is out of obligation. I feel guilty, or think that no one else will do it so I must. This is not the attitude that God wants from us. The reading says that, " we ALL come to Christ in spiritual poverty", "We have NOTHING to offer in return for the gifts God gives us, we can ONLY offer OURSELVES as servants to the will of God. GOD RECEIVES US AND WELCOMES US INTO FULLNESS OF LIFE." I say WOW. As I reflect on that I feel an immense love for HIM. He just wants our heart. When we will surrender our heart to Him, everything else will fall into place. When we do this, then we will be able to serve with love, not with guilt or obligation. Thank you, dear Lord, for everything you give. I want to have an attitude like the widow who gave You everything she had. Please help me to serve you with all my heart! Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment